Levy DT et al., ‘Potential deaths averted in USA by replacing cigarettes with e-cigarettes,’ Tobacco Control 2018; 27:18-25.
- If smokers in the US switched from smoking to vaping it could prevent 6.6 million smokers from dying prematurely from tobacco-related illnesses and save 86.7 million life years.
- The researchers developed a model to show the number of lives that could be saved if smoking was to be replaced with vaping over 10 years.
- Key findings:
- It predicted that in the absence of vaping, 26.1 million people will die from tobacco in the US between 2016 and the end of the century.
- If smoking is replaced by vaping, 6.6. million deaths could be prevented by the end of the century.
- Even under the researchers’ more pessimistic scenario, 1.6 million premature deaths could be averted and 20.8 million fewer life years lost.